Born in May, Born in Nebraska
Henry Fonda Trivia:
- He was also known as One-Take Fonda.
- At 76, Fonda was the oldest person to win a best actor Oscar (On Golden Pond).
- He studied acting in Omaha with Dorothy Brando, mother of Marlon Brando.
- One of Fonda’s hobbies was beekeeping. He also enjoyed making model airplanes and kites. He earned the rank of Life Scout and became a scout master as an adult.
- Fonda served in the Navy for three years during WWII, winning the Bronze Star for his service in the Central Pacific.
Quote: “If there is something in my eyes, a kind of honesty in the face, then I guess you could say that’s the man I’d like to be, the man I want to be.”
May 8-14. National Children’s Book Week. Pick up a children’s book at the library and read it to a child or just for yourself! Many fabulous kids’ books are not just for kids. (Two of my recent favorites: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. CB)
May 12. National Limerick Day, celebrating the birthday of Edward Lear, born in 1812. He wrote this one:
There was a young lady whose chin
Resembled the point of a pin;
So she had it made sharp, and purchased a harp,
And played several tunes with her chin.